About the Commons
The Commons, a.k.a University Student Commons and Activities, supports:
- 500 student organizations and VCU SGA
- Signature events like Homecoming, Weeks of Welcome, The Big Event and Intercultural Festival
- RamsConnect: VCU's Student Activities Calendar and Directory of Student Orgs,
- Civic Engagement and Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Student Leadership & Engagement
- Activities Programming Board
- Graduate Student Programming Board
- Activities, events and maintenance of VCU’s three student centers The Commons, Larrick and Hunton
- EMS Web App for VCU space reservations
The Teams at The Commons
The Facility Operations & Event Services office for The Commons operates and coordinates the three student centers, The Commons, Hunton, and Larrick, and also manages space reservations and event coordination for nearly 80% of VCU through the EMS WebApp. Our audio-visual staff and our housekeeping staff are a critical part of the Facility Operations & Event Services office.
The Student Leadership & Engagement office for The Commons supports student programming, campus engagement, student leadership, and civic engagement. Look to our team to provide programs, experiences, and resources that develop the key skills and behaviors necessary to become active leaders. Here are a few of our program highlights:
- The Underground and The Hub provide support to VCU’s more than 500 student organizations. The centers provide event advising to student organizations as well as co-curricular opportunities for student involvement. We strive to assist students in developing an appreciation for diversity, responsibility, critical thinking, and sensible skills to become lifelong learners, productive citizens, and community leaders.
- The Transfer Student Leadership provides a variety of experiences and programs to cohorts of new transfer students to build community and to foster leadership skills.
- Our team leads and collaborates with a variety of Campus Partners to support and empower students and other members of the VCU community to promote student success. Our programs include Weeks of Welcome, support for new student orientation, Homecoming, and more.
- The Activities Programming Board and Graduate Student Programming Board are student-led organizations that foster school spirit, awareness, diversity, and inclusion through a wide variety of events for the VCU community.
- The Leadership Resource Lounge, a collaborative space for VCU students to learn, lead, and create, is located in The Commons building on the second floor at the top of the lobby steps. You can request customizable workshops, attend retreats, check out books, team building tools, and more from our resource lounge, or join our cohort programs. Our motto is: “Together we Lead. Serve. Transform.”
The Office of Civic Engagement and Fraternity & Sorority Life supports more than 40 fraternities and sororities at VCU and facilitates volunteer opportunities VCU Votes Coalition, Alternative Breaks, Expedition RVA and more.
The VCU Finance Service Center, Department of Student Affairs, supports The Commons with accurate financial reporting by maintaining adequate supporting documentation for all transactions. The center reconciles and insures the overall financial accuracy of all funds and accounts for The Commons.
The Commons Marketing office coordinates communication and marketing for The Commons programs and services. The Marketing office serves as the webmaster for this website. Contact The Commons Marketing office at email@example.com.
About The Commons