About the Commons
Check out the new Commons Brochure.
The Commons, a.k.a University Student Commons and Activities, supports:
- Nearly 500 student organizations
- Signature events like Homecoming, Weeks of Welcome, TEDxVCU, Student Organization Fair, VCU Student Leadership Awards and VCU Intercultural Festival
- RamsConnect: VCU's Student Activities Calendar and Directory of Student Orgs
- Activities Programming Board
- Graduate Student Programming Board
- Activities, events and maintenance of VCU’s two student centers The Commons and Hunton
- EMS Web App for VCU space reservations
The Teams at The Commons
The Facility Operations & Event Services office for The Commons operates and coordinates events in two student centers, The Commons and Hunton. The Commons also manages space reservations and event coordination for nearly 80% of VCU through the EMS WebApp. Our audio-visual staff and our housekeeping staff are a critical part of the Facility Operations & Event Services office.
The Student Leadership & Engagement office for The Commons supports student programming, campus engagement, student leadership, and civic engagement. Look to our team to provide programs, experiences, and resources that develop the key skills and behaviors necessary to become active leaders. Here are a few of our program highlights:
- The Underground provides support to VCU’s nearly 500 student organizations. The Underground provides event advising to student organizations as well as co-curricular opportunities for student involvement. We strive to assist students in developing an appreciation for diversity, responsibility, critical thinking, and sensible skills to become lifelong learners, productive citizens, and community leaders.
- This office leads and collaborates with a variety of Campus Partners to support and empower students and other members of the VCU community to promote student success. Programs include VCU Votes, TEDxVCU, Student Leadership Awards, Alternative Breaks, Weeks of Welcome, Transfer Student Leadership, Homecoming, and more.
- The Activities Programming Board and Graduate Student Programming Board are student-led organizations that foster school spirit, awareness, diversity, and inclusion through a wide variety of events for the VCU community. Programs include Ram Spirit Week and Graduate and Professional Student Appreciation Week.
The VCU Finance Service Center, Department of Student Affairs, supports The Commons with accurate financial reporting by maintaining adequate supporting documentation for all transactions. The center reconciles and insures the overall financial accuracy of all funds and accounts for The Commons.
The Division of Student Affairs Shared Services Office of Communications coordinates communication and marketing for The Commons programs and services. They also serve as the webmaster for this website. Contact The Commons Marketing office at email@example.com.